AMPLIFY HORSE RACING
APPLICATIONS NOW OPEN!
The Amplify Horse Racing Mentorship Program launched in 2021, formalizing the process of pairing young adults interested in pursuing a Thoroughbred industry career (Mentees) with experienced industry professionals who can offer guidance (Mentors).
The initial pilot program, which took place from August-October 2021, facilitated 12 mentor-mentee pairings through a hybrid mentorship approach: Virtual meetings for mentors and mentees who lived a distance apart, which removed geographic or transportation barriers that could limit interested young adults from connecting with the Thoroughbred industry, along with in-person meetings and engagement for those who lived in the same state or for mentees who wished to travel to meet their mentor. Upon completion of the program, feedback was gathered from participants to continue improving its effectiveness moving forward.
These mentorship pairings are meant to educate about the Thoroughbred industry and develop an understanding for its nuances; teach important skills and knowledge needed to pursue a job or career; and facilitate meaningful conversations between experienced professionals and newcomers about the realities of employment in the Thoroughbred industry.
The objectives of the program are:
- Improve accessibility of the Thoroughbred industry.
- Develop newcomers’ understanding of the Thoroughbred industry by leveraging the passion, knowledge and experience of industry professionals.
- Facilitate meaningful conversations between young adults and industry professionals about employment expectations.
- Create a pathway to employment by connecting education and workforce.
WHAT IS 'MENTORSHIP'?
Mentorship is not the same as an internship. Mentoring is a structured and trusting relationship that brings young people (“mentees”) together with experienced industry professionals (“mentors”) who offer guidance, support and encouragement aimed at developing their journey into the Thoroughbred industry. Mentors counsel mentees on their career goals, direction and steps toward achievement.
Amplify Horse Racing’s insurance policy covers the program as a conversational and observation-based learning experience. Mentors who hire their mentees to intern or work for them automatically assume the liability of a working experience.
HOW ARE MENTORS AND MENTEES PAIRED?
Mentorship pairings are made based on perceived compatibility between a mentee’s areas of interest in the Thoroughbred industry and their mentor’s career field. Compatibility of schedules and geographic proximity are also taken into account. Meetings can take place virtually or in-person.
- Mentee’s must apply, be interviewed and accepted.
- Mentors must also apply and pass a background check.
- Amplify provides an email introduction between mentors and mentees, and schedules a face-to-face introduction over Zoom. Amplify also provides training materials and resources to guide conversations.
- After the Zoom introduction, mentors and mentees schedule their own meetings and determine most convenient communication and meeting methods.
- Pairs must meet a minimum of 1 hour per month for 3 months.
- Mentors and mentees each complete a final survey.
- In October 2022, Amplify will host a virtual Q & A over Zoom for all mentors and mentees.
The Amplify Horse Racing Mentorship Program uses a hybrid mentorship approach, facilitating both in-person and virtual meetings between mentors and mentees. Amplify provides in-person meeting location and virtual platform suggestions. Mentors and mentees are invited to attend a virtual group Q & A in October, 2022.
There is no fee for mentors or mentees to participate.
Amplify Horse Racing Inc. nor any mentors involved in the program are obligated to provide transportation to or from any meetings, or to cover any costs associated with the virtual or in-person meetings. All transportation and potential costs of meetings are the sole responsibility of the mentees.
WHO CAN APPLY?
Mentee candidates should demonstrate a strong desire to learn, and interest in working in the Thoroughbred industry. Those with a general equine interest who would like to learn more about working in the Thoroughbred industry are also welcome to apply.
The suggested age range is 18-25, and there are no restrictions based on academic achievement. Amplify prioritizes applicants with little to no industry work experience.
Applicants must be residents of the United States or Canada.
Are you outside of this age range? Send Amplify an email and we will further discuss your eligibility!
The 2022 program application timeline is January 7 through August 12, and the program duration for each mentor-mentee pair is three months, as determined by acceptance and start date.
TIME & PROJECT REQUIREMENTS
In total, Amplify Horse Racing estimates that the program will require a minimum of 6 hours from mentees:
- Review mentee introduction materials, provided upon program acceptance (1 hour)
- Mentor/mentee introduction by Amplify Horse Racing over Zoom (30 minutes)
- Attend a minimum of three 1-hour meetings arranged between mentor and mentee (3 hours)
- Complete monthly check-in reports and one social media assignment** (1 hour)
- Complete final feedback survey after closing meeting with mentor (30 minutes)
- Optional: Amplify will host a virtual group Q & A over Zoom for all mentors and mentees in October 2022. (1.5 hours)
**Mentees will be required to complete a monthly check-in, detailing their meetings with their mentor and take-aways, along with creating a post or video about their experience that can be shared on Amplify social media. Mentors may also assign their mentees with additional learning assignments that compliment meeting topics.
BENEFITS & PERKS
- Connect with an amazing mentor who can open doors and guide you towards career-impacting opportunities.
- Build your network by connecting with the wider group of mentors, mentees and graduates.
- Mentees who complete all program requirements will be awarded with a certificate of completion.
- Receive an Amplify Horse Racing hat!
Are you interested in becoming a mentor? Amplify Horse Racing welcomes new mentors to apply at any time!
- 6+ years of experience working in the Thoroughbred industry
- No criminal record
- Must be willing to undergo a background check
- Ability to dedicate ~7 hours to in-person or virtual meetings with a mentee
Questions? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To be considered as a mentor, please complete the Mentor Interest Form at the bottom of the page.
In total, Amplify Horse Racing estimates that the program will require a minimum of 6.5 hours from mentors:
- Complete mentor application (20 minutes)
- Mentor training slideshow, provided upon being paired with a mentee (1 hour)
- Mentor/mentee introduction by Amplify Horse Racing over Zoom (30 minutes)
- A minimum of three 1-hour meetings arranged between mentor and mentee** (3 hours)
- Complete final feedback survey after closing meeting with mentee (15 minutes)
- Optional: Amplify will host a virtual Q & A over Zoom for all mentors and mentees in October 2022. (1.5 hours)
**In 2021, most mentors met with their mentees two or more times per month. This should be determined between you and your mentee, based on your schedule and availability. Mentors may also assign their mentees additional learning or reading assignments that compliment meeting topics.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What if I’m too busy at the moment? – Mentors can request on their application whether they prefer to mentor in the Spring, Summer or Fall (or no preference).
What if I only want to meet virtually/in-person? – Mentors can request if they have a preference.
Where should I meet with my mentee? – Amplify will provide a comprehensive list of meeting locations and virtual platforms. Most mentees would love to attend an industry event with you, or even job shadow you at your place of work!
Can my mentee work for me? Amplify’s insurance policy covers the program as a conversational and observation-based learning experience. Mentors who hire their mentees to intern or work for them automatically assume the liability of a working experience.